Sunday, August 31, 2014

LET ME IN!


Click http://www.reverbnation.com/q/51ai1r for the ultracool new version

The song “Let Me In” has a long history in Living Waters. It was a staple of our concerts for several years when we were active out there. I’ve always loved it. That live way of doing it is captured on our main site from back then. Greg’s live lead is superb on that version. We also have a live video somewhere featuring Joe Prunera on lead; hope to post that someday. But now, Mike has come up with an ingenious modernized version which features running WATER coming in and out – you’ve got to love THAT! I’ve placed the new and old versions back-to-back on the ReverbNation playlist at this point so you can compare. And now, I’ll let Mike speak for himself! I myself never knew he had started it so early:

I started writing “Let Me In” when I was about 12.  I remember sitting on the picnic table out front of our house in Waterboro, ME, playing it over and over again on my acoustic guitar.  We didn't live there long, maybe a year, and from there joined the Oblate Community in Natick, MA, where Living Waters was born.  So, I had some tunes brewing before we started Living Waters.  I was likely influenced by my exposure to Fr. Bob Vaillancourt , Mark Lajoie and our participation in the Maine Catholic Charismatic Choir.
 
I held on to the first verse and then struggled with completing the song for several years.  By the time I was around 20, the "I have been with you..." part (the Jesus verses) inspired and completed the 7 minute version that LW performed live, with Dave Bourque singing the Jesus verses.
 
When I was in grad school my friend Joan Hastings and I would perform this song at different events.  We would turn off all the lights and sing in the dark.  Some people didn't like the "I am Jesus" peak.  How can someone sing, "I am Jesus"?
 
These days I am inspired to write more, and faster, than ever before.  So, while we are recording all these new songs, "Let Me In" was tugging at my heart.  I kept playing it on the piano, which we never used on this song.  Finally I told Josh that I would like to record a newer version.  He was in.  
 
This song has been with me for a long, long time!  And over the years it has kept me focused on my own spirituality, always reminding me to let Him in.  This version does not say "I am Jesus", not because I think it shouldn't be sung, but because I know it does not need to be said.  I really wanted "I am the way, the truth, the life" to be the peak.  Josh's engineering really help make that happen.  Also, for the first time in my life, this seems like a sad song.  But, it doesn't have to be.  It’s all up to the listener. 

And now, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you “Let Me In”!
Mark LaJOIE!

No comments:

Post a Comment