Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"City of Joy [instrumental reprise]"

"City of Joy [instrumental reprise]"

August 19, 2010 at 4:36 pm

*Since this was written I added guitar and vocals to this Reprise! Here it is:
http://www.reverbnation.com/livingwaters/song/18684473-city-of-joy-reprise-rough-demo

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/13632533 click for reprise [Noteworthy version]
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/13632486  click for multi-track
 http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_4546450 click for live version

In the early '90's we did that "City of Joy" recording project at the Sons of Mary.  The whole project was named after the song "City of Joy" and that was supposed to be the first song of the 'album'.  Of course, we never produced an album or tape of any kind for distribution (until summer of 2010 and the creation of this Reverbnation website).

I had a stray idea in my head at the time.  My thought was to do a "reprise" at the end of the album.  A "reprise" is a short version of the first song on an album, done again at the end in some altered fashion.  I heard how it would sound in my head.  It would start with a screaming electric motif carried through and settle into a choir voices sustain thing.  The problem was, for some reason, I never dared bring it up, or, maybe, I just knew we didn't have the will to do it.  I don't remember exactly.  All I know it never got done or even broached with the group.

Fast forward to 2010:  Dave Bourque gave me the Noteworthy Composer and I discovered I could get some of these things in my head out, most notably the "Credo", "A Stand of Courage", "Ring the Judas Bell" and "We All Did It".  Well, why not that "Reprise" now?  Indeed, why not?

(I am also posting at this time the studio or multi-track version of "City of Joy".  Frankly, there are several live versions that are better than this, even though it was supposed to be the title track of our studio project.  Ah well, I thought I would put it here for posterity.  City of Joy, then, City of Joy, then City of Joy...)

Encore!
Mark Lajoie

No comments:

Post a Comment