Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Light of the World" LIVE!

Light of the World" LIVE!October 29, 2010 at 7:38 pm

REPUBLISHED:  EARLY GROUP SONGS:  “Light of the World”


Live version posted 10/29/10  http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/13680897
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/13606935 for "Classic Live" version


{When we did our Reunion Show in 2004, we looked at some “classics” from the beginning days and tried to decide which ones to do.  “Light of the World” was an easy decision!  We decided to add this live version to the previous post about the song.  It’s a little rough around the edges – we hadn’t done it in a while at the time.  But it’s great hearing the familiar patterns and feeling the enthusiasm.  Enjoy!}

“Sing to Jesus” was the beginning of a series of new group songs. I remember learning “Light of the World” as a band in the hall that AA used to meet in at Oblates. What was that hall called? I do remember that a very young Greg Loell had joined us by that time and I was thrilled with the intro we came up with, something I just recently recalled. It was fortuitous that our big dramatic skit of the time had the same name.

I was trying to write up “Light of the World” on the Noteworthy Composer computer program recently when I realized I wasn’t totally sure how a lot of it really went! (Frankly, I remember that was the case when we were performing a lot of these, too!) Jim Babish sent me an old tape of LW doing this song and it surprised me how much I had forgotten. It helped me with the intro and where the choruses went and so forth. This song really has a lot of different stuff that made it hard to capture it on a midi program, but I have given a good effort, I think. I even put in a "Clap Track" to simulate the clapping we used to lead the people in during concerts.

There was one Protestant church we played where the local paper did a write-up on us, as I recall, that mentioned this song and "Covenant Love". They really liked that “Light of the World” was simple yet catchy and mentioned the ‘clapping thing’ we did on this one, if I’m not mistaken.  (Clap!  Clapclap!  Clap!  Clapclap!)   I believe LW got to the point where we really did do a good job at making it a good show and good, authentic prayer, too with songs like this.

Shine the light! Shine the light....!

Mark Lajoie


No comments:

Post a Comment