Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"God is With Us" [re-published with live version, 12/04/10]

"God is With Us" [re-published with live version, 12/04/10]December 4, 2010 at 9:28 am

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/4536738
Link to the multi-track version of "God is With Us"

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/13643379
Link to a live version of "God is With Us"

Here is an entry from July.  I discussed this song in the recent post entitled "Live Christmas Songs", also.

I am obliged to give credit to one man for this song. I was sitting at the piano at Our Lady of Fatima Shrine in Holliston working on this song. (Let me make it clear, I couldn't PLAY the part for piano I was composing, I was just working it out for Mike!) I was stuck; most of the song was done but it just didn't feel finished, and I was frustrated. Just then Reece McGilvrey walked up. (What fine people he and his wife were!). He asked what I was doing and I told him my frustation. I showed him what I had done. "Why don't you bring the shepherd back to his valley? Everything there is still the same humdrum life but now HE is changed, so it's all different." "THAT'S IT!" I said. That was an inspiration. He died very soon after this and I marvelled at what a farewell gift he had given me. Whenever we've done this song, I've tried to give him credit for helping me in that way.

When we were recording this, Greg and Dave used to laugh at me for the way I pronounced "just like me" - "just LAAIIKE me". HA! At the end Mike was adding a synthesizer track and he completely forgot the chords. He was screaming, "WHAT'S NEXT! WHAT'S NEXT". You'll notice he stays on one note for quite a while. Well, this turned out to be accidental GENIUS. The held note was very effective at setting the tone of 'being back in the valley'. He remembered what he was doing at exactly the right time! Serendipity!

I hope you enjoy it.

Mark L


No comments:

Post a Comment