Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Do You Understand"

"Do You Understand" Posted on Jul 14, 2010 at 12:24 AM July 14, 2010 at 12:29 am

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/13657762 Link to Noteworthy version of "Do You Understand"
http://www.reverbnation.com/open_graph/song/13633288  for live version "Gigue de La Joie/Do You Understand"

It was hard to capture what the 12-string sounds like and what it does just using the midi sounds of the NoteWorthy program; I had to go back to it a second time to get it right, but I think this is pretty good. I think I was only able to do that solo in the middle a couple of times in concert the way I wanted, but this captures the basic idea of it.

The live version here is from our 2004 reunion concert, I believe, and for the only time I introduced it with a little 12-string ditty I called "Gigue de La Joie" which I translate as "Jig of Lajoie".  (This thing used to drive Dave CRAzy...so I tried to do it as often as I could during down time just to annoy him, of course!)  Unfortunately, this is not my best performance on guitar, but this gives you a great idea of a song we did so many times in concert.

The Divinity of Christ is such a big stumbling block for a lot of people, just as it was back then. Trying to ignore it is pretending the elephant isn't in the room. Jesus sure claimed it at his trial and in Verse 2 of this song, he seems to know it would force a choice from everyone and cause great moments of decision, loss and consequence. This song is just embracing it all out with sheer joy, like Jesus seemed to be doing in his words. It is a marvelous "purity of heart" or, literally, "single-mindedness" as opposed to being wishy-washy and not knowing who you are. Know who you are and make a stand on it. We should never go out of our way to antagonize with our faith, that's not really the point of this. But if we are who we are and it's not accepted, so be it!!

GO GET 'EM! YOU CAN DO IT

No comments:

Post a Comment