Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"He Will Be"

"He Will Be"August 12, 2010 at 7:23 am


http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/13657089  click to hear song without Mike

 {UPDATE 10/19/10:  version WITH Mike http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/13606550 }


Looking at my notes, it said Mike McBride wrote "He Will Be" in 1983.  I do know it became one of those we did every show for awhile.  With its  'Advent'-type theme, predicting the Messiah's coming and eternal origin and destiny, it certainly fit for the Christmas shows.

Joey Prunera just noted to me that he liked how it was centered on a bass riff [somewhat like "New Years Day" by U2?] and that you never see that nowadays – and why not?  Good insight there and a good riff by Dave - AGAIN.  Dave was always doing that:  "I'll Survive", "The Lord Will Come", "There's A Woman", "Don't Run Away", etc. etc. etc.

This was also one of the (purposely!) few songs they let me play an electric guitar lead.  (The band was perfectly justified in trying to avoid this because I usually just can't handle it and we HAD Greg and he IS awesome, so....)  At any rate, I did occasionally hit it right and I'm pretty proud of what I came up with for this one, although that double clutch at the beginning of this version. well...  Dave once described it as not being able to translate these great ideas from my head quite exactly into what I'm playing; true enough.  I used to use Greg's set up for this; if you set the effects up right, the echo would oscillate back and forth between two notes going into the verse and I liked that 'spacy' effect.

We liked this song as a whole so much, it was one of Mike's that we continued to do after Mike had left the group.  This version features Greg on acoustic driving the rhythm when needed.  And here is Denise again; her unique and strong voice made the LW sound what it is.  Kathy Bourque and Michelle Cormier put together a dance for this song also and we should note the exceptional talent Kathy showed (as in "Lonely Dancer").  One of the highlights of our story as a faith family is when we played the funeral for her mother after Kathy took care of through her death.  This is so much more than a 'music group'; it is the Body of the Risen Christ for us.

I think this version I'm posting was one of our latest shows as a group in 1993.  Two years later we would have our first "Reunion" concert with Mike.  This is a precious moment captured in time.

Enjoy!

Mark L.
Michael McBride Wild. At first I was thinking, "come on Pepi, I can't hear the piano". Then I realized it was "after McB". Nicely done kids. Thank you.
August 12, 2010 at 7:46 am
Dave Bourque Yikes! There's definitely a hole where the piano should be... It also was a little iffy playing&singing at the same time here, eh? :~)
August 12, 2010 at 10:12 am
Mark Lajoie seemed OK to me!
August 12, 2010 at 10:13 am
Joe Prunera I was hoping you'd post this one. One of my fav's
August 12, 2010 at 12:48 pm
Charles Trella Wow! I had forgotten about this song. Another GREAT classic. Thanks!
August 12, 2010 at 1:17 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment