Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Gigue de Lajoie/Do You Understand"

"Gigue de Lajoie/Do You Understand" {live version added September 24, 2010}

September 24, 2010 at 7:42 pm

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_13633288 live version "Gigue de Lajoie/Do You Understand"

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/13657762 for Noteworthy version of  "Do You Understand"

[This live version added in September has a halfway decent 12-string opening and lead( in the middle) and it captures the basic way this song has sounded over the years.  PLUS, I added a little bit of a Celtic-style instrumental at the beginning which I entitle "Gigue de Lajoie", which translates as "Jig of Lajoie"!!  This concert I obviously hadn't practiced my 12-string enough - almost a little embarrassed to put it out with so many mistakes. I never could play what I wrote myself perfectly, but, at least, you can hear the basic idea of what it's SUPPOSED to sound like!  That's well worth doing, I think.  [The comments of the next paragraph refer to the NWC version.]

It was hard to capture what the 12-string sounds like and what it does just using the midi sounds of the NoteWorthy program; I had to go back to it a second time to get it right, but I think this is pretty good. I think I was only able to do that solo in the middle a couple of times in concert the way I wanted, but this captures the basic idea of it.

The Divinity of Christ is such a big stumbling block for a lot of people, just as it was back then. Trying to ignore it is pretending the elephant isn't in the room. Jesus sure claimed it at his trial and in Verse 2 of this song, he seems to know it would force a choice from everyone and cause great moments of decision, loss and consequence. This song is just embracing it all out with sheer joy, like Jesus seemed to be doing in his words. It is a marvelous "purity of heart" or, literally, "single-mindedness" as opposed to being wishy-washy and not knowing who you are. Know who you are and make a stand on it. We should never go out of our way to antagonize with our faith, that's not really the point of this. But if we are who we are and it's not accepted, so be it!!

GO GET 'EM! YOU CAN DO IT



No comments:

Post a Comment