Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"A Stand of Courage"

"A Stand of Courage" Posted on Jul 12, 2010 at 11:54 AM (Modified: Jul 12, 2010 at 05:06 PM)July 13, 2010 at 1:24 pm

UPDATE: February 10, 2013 Brand new version with vocals!:
http://www.reverbnation.com/livingwaters/song/16174476-a-stand-of-courage  

This links to a midi version without vocals:
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/13648543

Occasionally, I will present songs here that the group never performed or some that none of them even knew about. This is an example of that. I showed it to some of them, but that was about it.

This song was written "in my head" even before my conversion experience when I was maybe 13 or so. It's funny I often see the time before Christmas 1973 as a time when I had given up on God and stopped going to church and so on, but I guess this song shows something was already in the works "deep in the chasms of my brain" as my original words said. Later on, I re-worked the lyrics which were very '13-ish', but the musical ideas I present here in NoteWorthy form are pretty much what I imagined back then, especially the "fuzz bass" (for which I was probably influenced by "Think For Yourself" on Rubber Soul by the Beatles; I used to listen to my brother's albums over and over).

I like the idea of this song, that we all have something deep inside us we can draw on when we need to be brave. If God made us in His Image, then the Holy Spirit can certainly fill that "God-sized hole" that St. Augustine mentioned. And, then, we can help each other by example and aid. An awesome thought.

Love you,

Mark L

No comments:

Post a Comment