Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Time To Grow"

"Time To Grow"Posted on Jul 11, 2010 at 09:55 PM (Modified: Jul 12, 2010 at 05:04 PM)

July 13, 2010 at 12:59 pm
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/13633362 Link to a Noteworthy Composer version of "Time to Grow" featuring Dave Bourque on bass

This is another NoteWorthy Composer production, preserving this song we used to do. This is a version Dave Bourque edited, adding his own bass part, and he's got it up above everything else, but the part is so darn good, it's worth the hearing.

Denise Vassel had these words and a bit of a melody, as I recall, and she came to me and asked me to come up with some music for the words. She had words with no music?? Well, I happened to have some music with no words! We fitted them together and - voila - we got this! The original music had a very sad edge to it as I remember it. That's why, I think, Denise never felt quite satisfied with this song because it was so much more upbeat then she imagined it. However, the words to the chorus that come in right after the first verse are very hopeful and upbeat; in my opinion, that's why the song works just fine with the wistfulness of the intro and the simplicity of the first verse. By the way, I think that's a pretty good key change from A to E and back; I remember Chuck really liked it.

At one point, I insisted on toning it down to see how that would sound in performance...awful idea...but I decided to try and write it up here as we used to do it with the full group. I decided to simplify the Rhythm chords and separate out the guitar runs as a separate line in the "Extras" track or staff (that you can see if you look at the NoteWorthy sheet music) including some of the runs I play as I'm strumming and a couple of runs Greg used to play as I remember them.

Growing AND loving involves pain. No pain, no gain. But we're not alone; Someone Who loves us dearly has gone through all that just to so we wouldn't be alone in it.

Love, joy, peace, etc.,
Mark L

 

No comments:

Post a Comment