Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Each Heart is a Lonely Hunter"

"Each Heart is a Lonely Hunter"July 24, 2010 at 8:13 am
“EACH HEART IS A LONELY HUNTER”

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/13650415 click on this link to hear a Noteworthy Composer version of “Each Heart is a Lonely Hunter”! and click on "Lyrics" in the player to see the words

There was a movie called “The Heart is a Lonely Hunter”, but I never could sit through and watch it; I think it was about a blind man. But that has really nothing to do with this song, except for the title. That phrase was running around my head and how each of us has all that longing in our hearts. The famous quote of St. Augustine occurred to me: "You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in you." I put myself in God’s place seeing the pain and aimlessness of each person and longing to “put them together” as persons within themselves and “put them together” with others as a faith community, fulfilling their longing for purpose and meaning. This song is what happened as a result.

We never did it as a group, but Greg and I used to jam on this a lot in the days we were at Fatima Shrine in Holliston. This was a case of writing a song that was almost too hard for me to play, although we really did like jamming on it. So, it never did get arranged and played as a group. When Dave gave me the Noteworthy Composer songwriting tool, it finally game me the ability to write out all these pieces of the song I could hear in my head and I experimented with unusual things (like the “vibraslap”, for instance, that ratchet-y percussion thing amongst the drums).

The theme sort of reminds me of that song “Mirror” by Evie that we used to do in the 70’s (for which I used to play bass and Dave the classic ARP synthesizer!). Chuck Rossignol and Joyce Akillian used to face each other and do that Marx Brothers mirror routine! I think that’s how they fell in love. They used to say, “Let’s practice that again” and we would remonstrate that we knew it already, but they still wanted to practice…you know what I mean! I think this was that proverbial gleam in the eye that has become Chris & Jackie Rossignol. Ha, ha! My wife, Julia, said that Evie was the second Christian tape she ever got back then; that song reached a lot of people during an exciting time of renewal and faith.

But the song had a great message. You have to find Him in the mirror, accept who you are and learn to accept others and so on. If only we could believe that’s what He wants for us in the first place! He’s the “Advocate”; the other guy is the “Accuser”! If you believe, He can “paint you into the picture” where you can bring light, truth, trust and good things to those placed in your care around you. By doing that, you can fulfill your purpose and those in your life fulfill theirs.


No comments:

Post a Comment